We've Been Living our Happily Ever After for

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Step 1 of bridal gown "make-over" : completed!

A few blogs ago http://arnoldapril2012.blogspot.com/2011/04/la-boda-de-amor.html), I mentioned that I intedn on wearing my Mom's wedding gown on my own special day. Lucky me, the design is very close to what I envisioned my own gown to be...

However, amends need to be done here and there such as
1) The gown is long sleeved. As much as it sounds good to done it ala Kate Middletone, it's gonna be freaking hot on our big day given that it's mid summer and the last thing I wanna happen is to faint from the heat. Not to mention the fact that I'm not a big fan of long sleeved clothing, let alone my gown.hehe

2) uhmmm.....as much as I hate to admit, I'm beefier than my mom...I can zip it up to about two inches from my waist but that's as far as I can go.. and for it to fit me fully and comfortably, I'd have to shed 10-20 pounds tops(shucks, thanks for the pressure mom!)

3) There isnt enough bling for my taste. My mom, a very minimalist by nature, simply put details here and there but I'd love for the gown to have bead word here and there and I'll definitely bring it to a modista one of these days...

And so, after much thought, I decided to cut out the sleeves. Don't get me wrong and visualize me with a pair of really sharp scissors and just cutting pointlessly- It was a very tedious job that required utmost patience and carefulness. The sleeves were lace and I had to be very careful not to ruin the fabric...which my mother was able to preserve for twenty six years..

After painstaking effort, I was able to cut through the arm holes but 1/2 an inch of sleeves still held on to each arm, I stopped there because I was scared I'd ruin it..I just wanted to be able to fit the gown without the sleeves..

So as promised(to those who care to read this), here's the first part of my Mom's gown's journey to becoming the "IT" gown for me

The gown in its original look
Moi wearing it after I've cut out the sleeves
Happy :) best of luck future brides..and grooms if there are some!


No comments:

span.fullpost {display:inline;}